Thursday, March 15, 2012

Springing Forward on this New Path

I spent some time last night out on the balcony that overlooks the back yard.  The birds are migrating north through the fields and the small bush lots that surround our home.  In the morning I could hear the killdeers and just before dawn I heard a Great Horned owl in the pines east of our place.  In the softening evening light, the red winged blackbirds and some  warblers were flitting through the sumach beside the house doing whatever it is birds do on a spring evening.

I got out for a ride today along the upper Niagara River and the shore road that follows the north shore of Lake Erie.  The lake is still cold and the wind coming in off the lake was piercing and chilled me to the bone.  I guess I should have worn my heated vest but it was home hanging in the garage.

Today is a bit of a laid back day.  I'm retired after all!  My sleep was restless with all the thoughts running through my head about work that needs to get done around the house, reno projects, problems with my website (now resolved), and the painting work in progress.

Unlike writing poetry or blog, there is no instant gratification with a large oil painting project.  There are "Aha"moments as I work on some portion of the painting but not the immediate feedback like posting a blog and getting a flood of comments and emails.  With four paintings in the g, it is easy to get overwhelmed so I have to continuously keep those fires dampened and keep my focus on the work on the easel and the immediate tasks to be done.

Today's session will be to incorporate the detail into the sky on the Sacred Circle North painting.  I know in concept what I want to do but the exact approach will be a bit of a trial.  It should work but if it doesn't there will be house of restorative work to be done before I can try another approach. (Gulp!!!)

Over-arching all these thoughts is the one that is hard to speak aloud "Will anyone give a flying burrito about what I am putting to canvas and will the final result compel someone to reach into their pocket to add the work to their collection?".  Time will tell,,,,,

It is time to grab a granola bar and some water and hunker down while the light is good and get this very tricky part of this painting done.  I will post some pictures on the From the Studio page if I get a result that feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment