Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Alive In This World

Yesterday was one of those banner days for motorcycle riding.  I had planned a ride back to the central interior of Florida to see some of the areas I had missed on my ride to Sebastian last November.  The loose plan was to meet one of my friends I had made online at the Daytona Harley dealers then to head inland.  I had a vague notion of checking out the St. John’s River area and the lakes over to Ocala.  Beyond that, I would work out the details off the map when I met my friend.

The weather was already warm as I had a coffee on the stoop while I checked over the Road Glide.  The sky was bright blue with some puffy fair weather cumulus clouds.  I packed some extra water and a long sleeve shirt in the TourPak.  As I worked on getting myself ready, my friend Bud arrived in the family van to borrow my suspension pump to figure out a problem with his Street Glide suspension.  We quickly discussed some approached to troubleshooting the problem then, Bud went his way to finish packing for his Everglades boat camping trip and the repairs to his ride.

By 9:15 I was KSU and on my way to the rendezvous stopping just down the road to top up the tank.  The ride up US #1 to Malabar Road was a treat as the dozen nesting Osprey were already with the task of feeding their young.  The Indian River was alive with the morning sun on the water.

At Malabar, I cut over to the I95 to blast north to make the appointed time to meet my backseat passenger for the day.  The dealership is at I95 and US#1.  I arrived about 10 minutes late but soon found my friend by cell phone navigation in the crowded parking lot.  We quickly consulted the map and were on our way.

We headed west out US#1 to pick up CR304 heading south to Cody’s Corner before turning right onto SR 11 heading south through the Heart Island Conservation area, to pick up SR40 West.  The day was getting progressively warmer and at our pit stop, I stripped the removable leather skin off my leather jacket to get some ventilation.  Heading west through the rolling hills, the forest was lined the roadway and we saw our first bear crossing warning signs.  I didn’t know bears were plentiful enough to be a road hazard but it made for great fun looking to see if one was lurking in the roadside cover.  The bikers were out in full force taking in the perfect day.

By Barberville, we were both hungry and ready for a break.  I saw a sign advertising a lakeside eatery up SR15 so we headed north up that road watching for more signs.  By the time we hit Bakersburg there was no sign of the restaurant.  We stopped to fuel up and shed the morning coffee.  I engaged an older fellow sitting outside the gas station about local places to eat.  He gave glowing reviews for a riverside inn at Astor so we turned around and headed s0uth.  Motorcycling is about the U Turns made on a ride.  The view as we crossed the St. Johns River was breathtaking.

The Black Water Inn looked to be a delightful place but it was closed Mondays.  We had passed a sign advertising a biker friendly waterside restaurant before we crossed the bridge so another U Turn took us back there after a few minutes spent admiring the view and taking a photo op. 

Castaways grill was just perfect.  We enjoyed a cold beer and sandwich lunch and spent time on the deck watching the fishermen and birds working the river.  My prime rib sandwich disappeared in record time probably because I missed breakfast in the midst of my morning busy work.  It was delicious!

After a good break for lunch we headed west again on SR 40.  The GPS was off and in the TourPak.  Now it was follow the most interesting road!  I had mental map in my head but sometimes the turning points disappear to same place where names go when I really need to remember them.  I call this malady CRAFT disease.

My friend was the perfect riding companion.  She sat quietly in the comfort of the luxurious passenger accommodations except to sing along with the tunes on the iPod playlist and occasionally point out something I might miss while focused on the road.  The day was really hot by now.

The lakes amid the trees of the Ocala State Forest were jewels.  We headed north up SR19 in the middle of the forest cutting along the edge of Lake George.  I made a couple of command to explore interesting side roads that turned into sand and gravel fire access roads.  No place to take a low clearance Harley!  My old Kawasaki 350 Greenhorn would have been perfect.

We arrived in Salt Spring by 3 PM and continued north on SR19 until we picked up SR20 on the outskirts of Palatka.  This is a beautiful town in the north end of Lake George where it narrows into the St. John’s River again.  There is a submarine there converted into a museum that I would like to see but by now the sun was on its way down so it will wait until next winter for a visit.  We stopped in the Millennium Park to look for manatee and to watch the birds and the fishermen at work and for another great photo op.

Mounting up, we follow SR 20 out of town with a couple of wrong turns included then picked up SR17 South moving along now as the sun was really on its way down.  Soon SR 40 called for a left turn to head east until we picked up SR 11 again and rode into Brunnell for a bio break.  A right on US#1 took us past the White Eagle saloon, a popular biker bar near Daytona and our dinner destination.  By now the sun was gone and we were hot and hungry after a long ride and lots of baking in the sun.

 We enjoyed lots of getting acquainted conversation along with a feast of the Canadian dinner staple of chicken wings, onion rings, and beer.  Take that, South Beach diet!  The karaoke night was not so good as the wings.

It was getting on when we left the White Eagle and I headed down US#1 to drop my friend at her truck.  By then it was past 9:30 PM.  I don’t like to ride at night and 100 miles on I95 was not my idea of the perfect ending to a perfect day.  At that point II decided the Super 8 across from the dealers was a better bet.  I booked in and we dropped off the Harley there and headed down to A1A by truck to se the sights and to drive the coast up to Flagler Beach.  We made a stop at Finn’s for a libation and to watch the waning moon, just past full rise over the black Atlantic perfectly silhouetting the Flagler pier against the moon reflection on the dark waters.  It was a beautiful sight but the photographer left the Nikon on board the Road Glide.

We headed back to the dealers and the day was done as we went our ways after agreeing that another ride would be fun and that it should happen soon.

In the morning I had to chastise myself to get in better shape before riding season.   I was a little stiff and sore but wasn’t going to make concessions to age.  After wiping the morning dew off the Harley, I mounted up and picked up I 95 to head south.  As I continued to work through the iPod playlist a Jackson Browne (who else) song came up that really resonated for me in that moment and as I reflected on my good fortune and a wonderful day of good weather, great riding, wonderful companionship, and another developing friendship. 

I know this was the thought in my mind as I awake in the Super 8 motel this morning.   I am Alive In The World


I want to live in the world, not inside my head
I want to live in the world, I want to stand and be counted
With the hopeful and the willing
With the open and the strong
With the voices in the darkness
Fashioning daylight out of song
And the millions of lovers
Alive in the world

I want to live in the world, not behind some wall
I want to live in the world, where I will hear if another voice should call
To the prisoner inside me
To the captive of my doubt
Who among his fantasies harbors the dream of breaking out
And taking his chances
Alive in the world

To open my eyes and wake up alive in the world
To open my eyes and fully arrive in the world

With its beauty and its cruelty
With its heartbreak and its joy
With it constantly giving birth to life and to forces that destroy
And the infinite power of change
Alive in the world

To open my eyes and wake up alive in the world
To open my eyes and fully arrive in the world
To open my eyes and wake up alive in the world
To open my eyes and fully arrive in the world



1 comment:

  1. Big ride for one day!
    You were in my territory,Castaways grill is a great favorite spot of ours for a quick lunch ride.
    We are also often seen around the White Eagle, just a 20 m minute ride from the condo.
    Life remains good around Daytona, I am loving the current weather.
    john

    ReplyDelete