Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Positive View Down the Road.



Day is giving way to the overtures of night as the sun sets beyond the live oaks across US Hwy #1 and I am perched on the stoop at the “Hotel California” here in Sebastian Florida.  My thoughts continue to follow the thread on personal change, growth, self-discovery, and the rapid passage of time with still so much to learn and experience.

I went riding yesterday with a new friend.  It was a day full of discovery and fun.  Learning about someone new and getting to appreciate his or her character and spirit.  I have such an appreciation of people and their unique qualities that make them memorable and make me want them as my friends.

Our meeting was purely chance and not through my social networking efforts.  I remember the movies from the 30’s and 40’s where women would drop their hanky near a person of interest and the social interaction of the “chance” meeting would take place.  From there, inevitably it seems in those old flicks, woman meets charming man and the rest is history.  In my modern biker world, instead of a hanky, a dropped Harley was the source of introduction as yours-charming-truly was asked to help right said fallen iron steed, which led to a cold beer as a reward.  And, as in those old movies, the rest was history.  We talked and a found mutual interest beyond the two-wheeled world and thus, a new friendship was born.

As is usually the case I look to music and lyrics to find grist for my writing mill.  Today, it is my old favourite Jackson Browne’s The Fuse that caught my ear and eye and draws another thread into the discussion on the passage of time and that feeling of so much to do and places to go.

And the years that I spent lost in the mystery
Fall away leaving only the sound of the drum
Like a part of me
It speaks to the heart of me
Forget what life used to be
You are what you choose to be
It’s whatever it is you see
That life will become

Whatever it is you might think you have
You have nothing to lose
Through every dead and living thing
Time runs like a fuse
And the fuse is burning
And the earth is turning

Though the years give way to uncertainty
And the fear of living for nothing strangles the will
There’s a part of me
That speaks to the heart of me
Though sometimes it’s hard to see
It’s never far from me
Alive in eternity
That nothing can kill

The metaphor of the drum beating the passage of time as we confront our own mortality and the time we have left is apt for my present wandering wondering state. “You are what you choose to be”.  Perfect!  The choice and the consequences of my choices and my vision of the life I want to lead.   If it is a positive vision, it will be a positive life I will lead.  No destructive self-talk of negative memos-to-self because that will just lead to the inevitable negative outcome.

Time is a constant and runs through everything in this life as the lyric states.  I must admit to being paralyzed at times by glimpses of a future alone and of dying alone without children at my side (I have none).  I have made the conscious choice to believe that I will not be alone.  I have wonderful friends now who I know will be there for me and I refuse to let  the fear of living for nothing strangle my will to be relevant, loving, and a contributor in some small way to the world about me.

Though the years give way to uncertainty
And the fear of living for nothing strangles the will

There is a part of me that speaks to me and my friends speak to me.  Just today I had a message from a friend who took the time to remind me that I do have a circle of friends who will see to it that I am not alone and forgotten unless of course, I make that choice by thinking that negative outcome.

If we chose to see the good and positive it does reach to the extents of our personal eternity.

So in that mindset, I continue to seek out and meet new people and make new friends keeping the vision of a creative positive life full of discovery and adventure rather than the completely negative outcome of living life alone.

To Life!


And from my keyboard today:

Hot Harley engine ticking
Under palm trees
In the ocean wind
We are in the wind
Riding the currents
Of our chance meeting
Soaring gulls and sunlight
Colour the sea
The roar of the pipes
Echo behind us
In our memories
Captured in a cocina shell
Picked from the golden sand


No comments:

Post a Comment