Sunday, February 6, 2011

Riding Into Wellness



Today started out a little rocky for me.  Got up with intentions of writing since it has been a few days.  Got the coffee maker ready to fire up and open the new bag of French Roast and yeah,,, Whole beans!  I guess I didn’t take time to read the label when I pulled it off the shelf. The “Hotel California” is not the kind of establishment that has complimentary grinder in the cabins.  So, water was the Plan B.

By 1 pm I am back on the stoop with some good French Roast beside me as I begin another blog.

Yesterday I went for a nice long ride.  The new Road Glide has 1,500 miles on it now and it is starting to loosen up and feel good under my hands and feet as I ride.  I am still waiting on the new Corbin saddle and the oversized grips so my 3x hands don’t wrap twice around the throttle.

Yesterdays ride took me up the US #1 from Sebastian to Cocoa where I picked up the 210/#50 towards Orlando.  The ride was pleasant and my mind was on the ride as I went through the playlist on my iPod Nano playing through the kickass Harley sound system.  I noticed that many of the osprey nests I check on this route were occupied and one of the pair of birds was sitting on the nest so life continues in Birdland.

The playlist for this ride was a collection of favorites from the Eagles, Jeff Buckley, Emmylou, the Doobies, and even the wonderful pairing of Alison Krauss and Robert Plant.

Riding is therapy for me.  My real therapist refers to it as Harley Davidson therapy and has observed how grounded, happy, and focused I have been since I started my journey on two wheels.  I sent him the link to my last blog and the men with the nets and the rubber-lined truck haven’t come to collect me so he must still hold that belief.

There was a lot on my mind as I mounted up for the ride to Mt. Dora.  I had heard the day before that my former partner’s brother had died suddenly during the week.  I liked this quiet, taciturn man very much.  He didn’t say a whole lot but he spent time at night with his kids jamming in the basement; his son on drums and his daughter on bass and he with his guitar and joined by whoever else might drop in. 

Also on my mind was the decision on when to leave Florida.  The spiteful fingers of winter seem to be reaching south to remind even here in Florida.  I keep delaying my departure to let the weather stabilize so the ride is fun rather than an ironman endurance run. Of course, I had writing on my mind and relationships after receiving many notes and messages from folks who had read my blogs and had their stories or thoughts to offer.

When I ride and the kickstand goes up, the world contracts down to the ride, the road ahead and the Harley.  The thoughts and worries slip away into the holding bin.  I process things but in the back ground so my attention is on getting to where I am going with the shiny side up and my physical self in one piece.  The amazing thing is how I feel mentally after the ride.  All the gnarly stuff I pushed into the holding box seems to settle into a rational state that let’s me make simple decisions and create positive intentions about what I should do about each issue.

Heading west on #50 I soon encountered a crush of traffic caused by construction, the infamous mouse land, and what looked like Chinese New Years celebrations.  Tom Petty was playing “Shout” and that is what I was doing at the plugged route and the cars jockeying with no signals to gain 3 feet and stop.  I reminded myself to stay focused on the ride and carried on until I hit the 441 and headed north towards Mt. Dora. 

I love the area with its winding roads and the woodlands surrounding the road and the pretty lake.  As I got closer to my destination, the clouds rolled in from the gulf side looking angry and foreboding trailing long streamers of rain to the northwest.  Within a few minutes a shower started and my rain gear was carefully stowed in its case back at the “Hotel California”.  A quick glance over my shoulders showed lots of sun south of me so at that point I did a fast U turn and motored towards the sun.  I felt a little like Frodo climbing the Misty Mountains having the weather push back until another route became the only option.

So back I went.  This time I took some alternative roads to get around the traffic.  The clouds seemed to chase me south as I rode and eventually I picked up I 95 and started to make some real time heading south. The music was great all the while.  Memorable stuff from Jeff Buckley’s Grace, Emmylou’s last solo release, Tom Petty’s Wildflowers, and a great performance of If I Should Fall Behind from Faith Hills’ Breath album.

As I motored across Malabar road to pick up Hwy# 1 for the trip south I was aware of this great sense of inner joy and happiness that meant the riding alchemy had done its trick on the holding bin of angst and sadness that had started the ride with me.  It was an easy choice to swing onto Indian River Road to head to the familiar sign of Earl’s and as I killed the motor the sounds of some very good blues coming from the stage.

The day’s ride took 7 hours to cover and distance of 250 miles travelled.  Not a fast ride or any distance record but the payoff was peace of mind, clarity of mind and while I sat having a beer and listening to the band, I looked into the holding bin and the things I had to do to keep balanced and happy were all manageable now and though the clouds continued to build and threaten as evening fell, I was at peace and happy after a day of therapy like no other.


From the new book (and still no title)

The path led to the shore
Water lapping soft cadences
Intertwined branches white shore foam
Funeral shrouded sky with rain
Shower trails from clouds like wet brushes
Painting fountains on the surface
Wind
Surging sighing through piny pipes
A smell of needles and ochre earth
The Presence
Tangible
Reaching out
Touching the face of forever


My heart is an empty room
That still echoes with your laughter
And the sound of your footsteps
As you quietly close the door


Riding one day
It was in a distant part of the plains
You happened upon a small tree rugged
Yet with balance and beauty
In its shape and from
Dismounting
You grasped the tree
With a wish that you could enjoy
Its shade and appearance very day
Its root freely released from its native soil
And loving you carried it home
Looking about your garden
You selected a spot
A spot that would be central
And with love and care you placed the roots
With a Blessing
For the tree to grow and flourish in your home
And flourish it did 
Sending forth new branches and growing strong of root


No comments:

Post a Comment