Monday, April 18, 2011

With A Billion Stars All Around

I am back tonight in San Benito Texas.  My intention was to do the 2400 miles ride from San Antonio Texas, to my hometown of Virgil in Ontario Canada.  I have been plagued by an old back injury that I aggravated dropping my Harley in a gravel parking lot about 5 weeks ago.  You just don’t stop almost 1,000 lbs. from going where it wants to after it reaches the point of now return.  Especially with my Olive Oyl sized arms.  I started the ride back because I thought the trip was not over yet and would not be until I finished the geographic nicety of going back to where I started.  However, my back had other ideas and started bitching right away about every bump in the road.

So here I am and I will leave the Road Glide here in a safe place and I will fly home in the next couple of days.

Those of you who have followed my blog or who know me personally know that I have been on a journey or quest of self-discovery and, ultimately to meet a kindred female soul to ride with me and to enjoy life with me.  And, together we will reach that place way over yonder and enjoy the sweet tasting good times.  That quest is now over.  I have spent a lot of time with me and I have never been more happy or grounded.  I am very much in touch with myself.  And, at the wedding events this past weekend, I got to spend time with my friend and we connected in the most amazing way.  Yes, the ride is done.  There is no need for geographic niceties to make the ride complete.

How about the wedding some of you are asking.  I can hear it now.  The wedding was delightful.  The bride Deb is a courageous, graceful, and wonderfully grounded woman.  The groom, Kevin, is a wonderful big-hearted person and as a couple they are so happy and content.  Kevin’s smile could not have been bigger without oral surgery than it was on Saturday at the wedding.

The service was beautiful in the gorgeous hill country north of San Antonio.  It was a totally memorable event.  We celebrated their marriage with BON friends and the couple’s family and friends under the light of a near full moon and a blanket of stars filling the sky.  I will never forget the day, the event, and the people.  The BON folks there are like a family and they took me into their group.  The feeling of love and respect was wonderful!  Bikers rock!

As I rode back to San Benito, I went back over the weekend’s events in my mind.  The iPod was turned off.  It was just a day the Harley, the wind, the jukebox in my head and me.  As I played back the images of the bride and groom and their beautiful love for each other, the Eagles Peaceful, Easy Feeling played in my head.

As I played back the memories of my friend and our time together spent deepening our friendship and what I hope will be a lifelong relationship, a new song of my own came to mind.  I am no Don Henley or Glenn Frey but the words did come.

The highway runs before me
To the edges of the sky
My road has been long and lonely
A solo Harley ride
As the dusk begins to gather
At the close of this day
My hopes and dreams unanswered
Do I have the strength to stay

From some far distant mountain
Your voice called out to me
I see the soft light in your window
It guides me on my way
You speak to me in pictures
Fill my soul with peace
As we dance in the moonlight
In the Light of His grace

My quest for me is over
The story has been told
When I look into your sweet blue eyes
I know I have come home

Now some say I have not reached my goal
There are still miles to unfold
But my ride is done the story told
To ride on would be an ego thing

My quest for me is over
The story has been told
When I look into your sweet blue eyes
I know I have come home

My quest for you is over
The story has been told
When I look into your sweet blue eyes
I know I have come home

When I look into your sweet blue eyes
I know I have come home
When I look into your sweet blue eyes
I know I have come home
When I look into your sweet blue eyes
I know I am at home










3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog here! And from an awesome new friend!

    Peaceful, Easy Feeling is a MOST PRECISE description of the love that Kevin & Debbie share!

    I really enjoy reading your stuff, and I look forward to reading more, and also getting to know you even better.
    Happy Trails, Dude! But most of all, Be safe, and be Blessed! *hugs* ~Brightley~ AKA Peggy Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Peggy Sue! I so enjoyed meeting you and Tom. Thanks for taking time to read my stuff.

    ReplyDelete