Thursday, March 17, 2011

All The Road Running

It is late afternoon in Palm Coast after a beautiful warm day.  The sky is a complete dome of cerulean without a mar except the pale white ghost of a near-full moon rising in the east.  Today my mind was occupied with the final matters of getting on the road for an extended period.  The Road Glide Ultra went in for its 5,000 mile service, and I went over the load and packing arrangements to make sure it made sense for ease of access and organization plus load balance.

Tomorrow I will spend with my riding companion for the last month.  We have had some great rides together and I will take away many fine memories of our fun at bike week and après-ride dinners.  Tomorrow will be the day for the last farewell before I hit the road.

Saturday will come too soon in one sense but not soon enough.  Too soon when taking my leave from someone who has shared the saddle for almost a thousand miles; not soon enough to be on the next adventure though it will again be a solo effort. 

As I write, I am listening to Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris in their collaborative record All The Road Running.  The third verse captures some of my thoughts as I think about the next long ride.

Well if you’re inclined to go up on the wall
It can only be fast and high
And those who don’t like the danger soon
Find something different to try
And when there is only a ring in your ears
And an echo down memory lane
Then if it’s all for nothing
All the road running's been in vain

The wall in this instance refers to a travelling carnival act called the Wall of Death (there was one set up at the Iron Horse Saloon for Bike Week), but it could apply to this 63 year-old out on his Spirit Quest.  I will be travelling and there is always an element of danger when we choose to do it on two wheels.  Some people find this element of danger too daunting to ever experience being in the wind.  The message for me is in the last four lines.  When this Quest/ride is over and the ring of the Rineharts in my ear are but an echo in my memory, will I have found what I seek and will it be for something that is of value spiritually and emotionally?  If I remain true to myself and am compassionate with myself for the fumbles of human frailty, all the road running will not be in vain.

The playlist for the first leg is built and installed on the iPod.  It is all travelling music, mainly southern rock, blues, and some ballads.  I am working on the routes in detail now and will upload them to the GPS.  Leg one will be from Palm Coast, Florida to Mobile, Alabama.  I intend to avoid the interstates where possible.  I am in no rush and want to see something of the real land I will be transiting.

The route is 436 miles and 9.5 hours in the saddle.  Not a bad start for this ride.  When I set out I will play what has become my theme song for the beginning of each ride: Jackson Browne’s Running on Empty.

Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels
Looking back at the years gone by like so many summer fields
In '65 I was seventeen and running up 101
I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on

Some mornings it feels like that I am just running and unsure just where; geographically and metaphysically.  But, I am sure running and the miles rush away beneath those wheels as the dual Rineharts rumble beneath the music on my playlists.

Ah, the search for that place “Way over yonder is a place I have seen/It's a garden of wisdom from some long ago dream”.  The ride to that uncertain place is the experience and I will relish each moment of the journey and all the meetings that will occur along the way.



Nice touch of Celtic music in All The Road Running so suitable to this St. Patrick’s Day.  Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!!


From the new book:


When we are together
There is magic in our presence
The energy that love exudes
So real so palpable
It touches those around us
Being together is a natural state
Male and female in balance
Giving purpose to our differences
Enhancing each experience
Our time together
Will be so fleeting so short
Each second will be counted
Like solitary diamonds

No comments:

Post a Comment