Monday, March 21, 2011

The Flight of Imagination

Some days our imaginations take flight in our quest for a fulfilling and happy life. This sunny day in Palm Coast Florida, I’m sitting at my desk thinking of today and the future.  The day is sunny, hot and so blue is the sky shaded from cerulean edges to a dome of light cobalt.

My thoughts are on where my travels will lead me.  A return to Canada is necessary by late April to see to my affairs there and to give the taxman his annual pound of flesh.  In between there will be more adventures in the USA.  My thoughts are on those adventures and where they may lead.  I know I don’t want to winter in Canada anymore.  I hear from my friends there and as we all get older, the snow and cold no longer holds the cachet it did for a 9 year-old with a hockey stick and a death wish for playing goalie.

My imagination when set free goes almost anywhere.  Perhaps this is a result of lots of time spent alone playing when I was young or all the books I devoured that fired my imagination.

I am listening to Sting’s Nothing Like the Sun CD.  I saw him at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountainview CA a few years back with the incomparable Bradford Marsalis and Manu Katche.  Track 2 Little Wing reflects my imaginative state; that sense of magic and the blessings that come from the clouds unbidden like the surprise rays of sun on a cloudy and threatening day.  Lifting that sense of sadness cause by the pre-storm gloom, I have felt that magic and found myself smiling at the surreal beauty of storm clouds broken by the sun.

Well, she's walking through the clouds
With a circus mind
That's running wild
Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams
And fairy tales

That's all she ever talks about...

Riding with the wind

When I'm sad she comes to me
With a thousand smiles
She gives to me free

It's alright, she says,
It's alright
Take anything you want from me,
Anything

Fly on, little wing


As I leave Florida in the next couple of days, I will see parts of the USA that I have never seen.  My handlebar cam will be mounted to capture shots down the road.   I will stop as often as possible to take shots with the Nikon of points of interest and of wildlife where I find it.  It is a continuing journey of discovery and self-discovery.

I have known love on this trip; both platonic and intimate yet not in situations where there is the right human condition for it to grow and flourish.  Think back to my blog post “Two of me Two of You”.  Two people in places in their personal journey where attraction is there but the external forces, the places in time on the individual journeys prevent the essential alignment for love to blossom and be fully realized in its fullness.  The joy to be found way over yonder is just as far away as it was.

As I have run down today’s playlist a reggae beat song by Jackson Browne takes me to a state of mind I have been in before and hope to be in again.  I’m never going to be too old to experience those butterflies and mental lapses when love fills my mind and spirit with that internal music


I hear your heart beating everywhere
When we're apart I can hear you there
I hear your heart beating everywhere
Everywhere I go

People say that I must be in love
The way I forget what we're speaking of
The way I stand there smiling straight ahead
And walk away without hearing a word they said

I hear your heart beating everywhere
When we're apart I can close my eyes and hear you there
I hear your heart beating everywhere
Everywhere I go

In the middle of the football game
At the beach in the pouring rain
Standing on a hillside staring at the sun
People hurry by the unfortunate one
With the faraway eyes and the mystery smile
Moving my body in a ragamuffin style
I can't sit down when I hear it start
I hear your heart everywhere I go

People say that I must be a fool
Cause when I'm near you I cannot be cool
I don't quite make sense when I talk to you
And when you smile I forget everything I knew

I hear your heart beating everywhere
When we're apart I can close my eyes and hear you there
I hear your heart beating everywhere
Everywhere I go

Standing in the market where I buy my bread
With a hunger in my belly and a rhythm in my head
Looking all around for something good to eat
Between the butter and the beans and the mops and the meat
Coffee from the mountain, honey from the bee
Nothing tastes as good as you taste to me
Rocking in the aisle to my inside song
People staring at me think I got a walkman on

I hear your heart beating everywhere
I hear your heart
I hear your heart beating everywhere
I hear your heart
Beating everywhere I go

So to the road ahead and the continuation of this journey lie in front of me.  I look forward to the ride and I look back with warmth and love on the memories.  I hope you will be along for the ride and the blogs form the road as I head to that place way over yonder.





No comments:

Post a Comment