Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Grand Essentials

The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for..........Joseph Addison

This quote appeared on my Facebook wall posted by one of my Biker friends from BON.  Addison was a 17th century writer and politician in England so I am pretty sure he never listened to Way Over Yonder on his iPod but he sure has a grasp on the Essentials of making that journey.

I am sitting in Sebastian Florida today (Sunday Jan. 2 2011) and it is about 72 degrees and cloudy but beautiful.  I hear the Harley’s out on Highway 1 across the drive from me and my boots are half on as I write this.  Gotta go.  The siren call of good weather, a great bike, and a beautiful day are calling.

Okay, back from a short ride to get gas and clean off the bugs.

When I read this quote, it caused me to stop and think about my journey and this life I have chosen as a Distance Biker, Poet, and Photographer.  Do I really have the Grand Essentials incorporated into this lifestyle and personally into my life?

Something to do:            This one I have covered!   Every day I have is chuck full of “doing”.  From the moment I get up until I fall asleep usually in the wee hours of morning I am busy.  This type of busy includes writing, photographing, processing what I shoot, riding, chatting with friends or spending time with them, maintaining the Harley.  All of it feels good and productive.  I am in one of my highest energy creative peaks of my life and I love it.

Something to love:            This on gets a little tricky!  As just noted I love my new lifestyle and the huge creativity burst it has spawned.  I love my Harley Road Glide.  We are like man and dog.  I know every rattle, squeak, and rumble and I feel so bonded with the bike it is like we are one when I am riding.

If you change something to someone, as in Someone to Love, then there I have some sticky issues.  I now love me after years of being aware how badly I have acted in different situations and how unauthenticate  I was in living and expressing the “Me” in “I” and hating who “I” was.  I think I have that one at least on the way to being as it should be.  Getting to real biggie; Someone to love in that uniquely human way in which, two partners love, I have some work to do.  I think I have covered a lot of the bases in earlier blog postings. 

I have friends who I love deeply in that way we love friends so much.  We can be out of touch for 30 years and get back together with the feeling that our last contact was just yesterday.  I have had loves that have gone unrequited and relationships that have lasted years.  On this new road, I am leading with heart and have banged my shins a few times.  I have more work to do but that is a good thing because it helps fire the creative engine.

Something to hope for:            My life is currently full of hope for many different things and situations.  I hope for long life because I love this world and this new life of mine.  I hope for good health.  It is happening.  I seldom have need for asthma medications or any medications since I made my lifestyle change. I hope for the chance to love someone once more and to be loved affectionately, passionately and knowingly in return in a way that allows me to be authentic and whole.  I think I have something to hope for covered.

I got up this morning and in my morning writing session found this in the creative stream.

From the bottom of the pond
The lotus flower rises
A red flower in the shape of a heart
Clenched to its centre
In still waters seeking the sun
It feels the fullness of the day
And opens
Revealing me

Yes I have hope,,,,,,,

1 comment:

  1. Well Kim we to enjoyed a wonderful weather day in the Daytona area. WE all jumped on our bikes and met for the Sunday Prayer meeting at the Iron Horse. Bloody Mary's (appropriate) $2.00, little sea food feast on a toothpick included. Off to the White Eagle, Bloody Mary's $1.00. Off to almost St Augustine, and return to The Parana Bar and grill for the best Burgers. All in all a short 100 mile ride, great day and as you often mention good friends.
    Stay Well!
    john

    ReplyDelete