Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Road in 2011


Well as I drag my groggy body out of bed and into this New Year of 2011, I wonder what the year holds in store.  Yesterday’s blog was about reflection and intention and gratitude for the life on the road and the friends, lovers we have met along the way.

Today I think I will look down the road and keep my eyes off the rear view mirrors and the tendency to look back and become consumed with what might have been.

Music has always been a big part of my life.  The stuff I listen to; like the Brahms 2nd piano Concerto now playing suit my mood on quiet mornings when I am easing into the day after a sleepless night.  The party next door went on to sunrise when the lexicon of cuss words ran out and the frying pan was too dented to do more damage.

As I sit here to write I am hearing in my mental jukebox Bruce Springsteen and one of my favourite “setting out on the road” tunes, Thunder Road.  The lyrics resonate with me today, as I look forward to 2011.  Especially the second verse:

You can hide `neath your covers
And study your pain
Make crosses from your lovers
Throw roses in the rain
Waste your summer praying in vain
For a savior to rise from these streets
Well now I’m no hero
That's understood
All the redemption I can offer, girl
Is beneath this dirty hood
With a chance to make it good somehow
Hey what else can we do now?
Except roll down the window
And let the wind blow
Back your hair
Well the nights busting open
These two lanes will take us anywhere
We got one last chance to make it real
To trade in these wings on some wheels
Climb in back
Heavens waiting on down the tracks
Oh-oh come take my hand
Riding out tonight to case the promised land
Oh-oh thunder road, oh thunder road oh thunder road
Lying out there like a killer in the sun
Hey I know it's late we can make it if we run
Oh thunder road, sit tight take hold
Thunder road

Bruce knows that place Way Over Yonder.   The lyrics lend themselves to many metaphors.  For me I have some specific hopes, intentions and desires for the coming months that I see in this song.  Today I will keep these thoughts to myself.  Just read the lyrics or put the tune on the car stereo, IPod, your HOG tunes, or in your mental juke box and go for that ride and make it real in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment