Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I’m Talkin’ Relationship Rubik’s Cube



I never was any good at Rubik’s Cube.  It was always a case of no patience for fiddling around with the thing and no point in the outcome except every side had a uniform colour as the outcome; no genie arising from the core to whisk me off to Tahiti; no instant solution to the more vexing problems of life.  When I figured the dang thing out, all I had was a hunk of plastic with uniformly coloured sides.

I wrote on my blog a while ago, December 23rd, titled “Time After Time”. I quoted Jackson Browne’s lyrics from his “Two of Me, Two of You” about the challenges of our mental attachments to what we want to be/to happen and the reality of relationship integration between two people and the world around them.  The relationship challenge is really as multi-dimensional as the Rubik’s cube. And, there’s no genie in the middle waiting to pop out and make the pieces fall into place and whisk us off to blissful relationship Nirvana.

In my journeys as a modern day Dharma Bum on two wheels, I have met a lot of people in person and virtually through BON and FaceBook.  We get talking, get acquainted, and the relationships begin to form and move around like the Universe is playing the cube game.  I have a friend who is going through a break up of a long time relationship and is seeing those close by discovering new relationships where the pieces seem to fall together.  She desires the same for herself and wants that connection of emotional, spiritual, and mental chemistry for herself but the cube is playing games and just won’t line up.  I have the same issues with a friendship that regardless how I twist and turn those pieces of the cube it won’t line up the way I want so I get what I want; right here and right now!!

What I have are attachments to what I want to be rather than enjoying what is and going for the ride.  It is hard to find the patience to wait until the timing and alignments are right for what I want to become a reality in my life.  Instead, the relationship cube game leaves me with a case of the blues and a sense of longing instead of satisfaction and enjoyment of what is.  Time for the genie to emerge and plant a six-inch stiletto heel up my kazoo!

So my mission today and this week is to accept the state of my relationship Rubik’s cube for how it is; not the time and not the right alignments what I want but there is a lot I have to be thankful for:  Good health, a new Harley to ride the next stage of the journey, new friends who are quite dear to me, a special friendship that could be more if I have the patience to work out the cube.

“I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
They're really saying I love you.

I hear babies crying, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll never know
And I think to myself what a wonderful world
Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world.”

Love comes to us in many ways and we need to remember the patience needed to solve the relationship cube and in the process, enjoy the love that comes to us in the way that fits the moment, the alignments, and the timing and forget those dang attachments to how we wish things were.

Wonderful World from Live at Blues Alley - Eva Cassidy


I sat looking out at the dark gathering
Before the window
While the clock ticked the hours of
Our separation
My thoughts are a dark as the dusk
Beneath the trees
Then I felt your hand on my shoulder
And my heart
Grew light as the new day dawning
But hours away 

No comments:

Post a Comment